Monaghan is well served with express buses to Dublin, Belfast, Galway, Letterkenny and Derry.
Between Bus Eireann and Ulsterbus, an hourly service to and from Dublin Airport is provided from early morning to late night.
There are a number of private bus operators also. Full details can be found on the ‘Monaghan by Bus’ page
Within the county, Baltibus Rural Transport Initiative provides a local service which links rural areas in to the towns.
See Baltibus’s routes and timetables here: www.baltibus.ie
There are no rail services to Monaghan. The nearest train stations are Dundalk and Portadown
The closest international airports to Monaghan are:
- Dublin – 90 minutes from Monaghan town
- Belfast International – 90 minutes from Monaghan town
- Belfast City – 80 minutes from Monaghan town
There is a regional airport at Enniskillen, 60 minutes from Monaghan town
The nearest ports which serve Monaghan are:
- – freight: Greenore, Co. Louth
- – passenger: Dublin, Dun Laoighaire, Larne