It’s free and it’s good for you, and walking can also be the quickest way to get around town.
Rather than park outside the door of each shop you want to visit, why not park in one place, then walk around the town centre? You never know who you might meet along the way…
There are some great off-road walks in Co. Monaghan, particularly:
- Rossmore Forest Park, Monaghan
- Muckno Park, Castleblayney
- Dartrey Estate, Rockcorry
- Sliabh Beagh walks, Knockatallon
Why not join a club and get out and about with like-minded people?
- Knockatallon Ramblers have a full schedule of walks on their website
- Toome TCG Walking Group: walk Sunday mornings @ 9:30am, meeting at Toome GAA Club and on Monday evening @ 6:45pm in Castleblayney. Contact Majella on 087 769 1279 for more details, new walkers are welcome.
- Rooskey Vale Walkers: Meet every Monday @ 10:30am at the Men’s Shed at Rooskey, Monaghan. Please contact Gerry on 086 812 4377 for more details, new walkers are welcome.
- Emy Early Birds: walk Friday mornings @ 7:15am, meeting at Emy Lough. Please contact Geraldine on 086 081 6449 for more details, new walkers are welcome.
- Farney Ramblers: walk Tuesday mornings @ 9:30am, meeting at Carrickmacross Town Library. Please contact Jackie on 086 366 6673 or Bernie 087 221 8652 for more details, new walkers are welcome.
- Clones Walkers: walk Mondays and Wednesdays @ 7:00pm, meeting at the Diamond, Clones. Please contact Josephine on 086 168 5100 for more details, new walkers are welcome.
- Rockcorry Walking Group: walk Saturday mornings @ 9:15am, meeting at Dartrey Estate, Cootehill Road, New Entrance. Please contact Susan on 087 661 7012 for more details, new walkers are welcome.
- Monaghan Walkie Talkers: walk Monday and Friday evenings @ 5:30pm and Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 6:30pm, meeting at Monaghan Harps GAA grounds. Contact Vanessa on 086 325 8716 for more details, new walkers are welcome.
Or maybe you fancy taking up a bit of running?
Monaghan Sports Partnership runs regular training sessions for people taking up walking and running, and can help get a club started in your area.
2 thoughts on “Go Walking”
I’m looking for someone who could contact me asap for a chat about finding walking groups or people to go places with around Ireland and not just my hometown or the county of Monaghan…
Have you tried http://www.irishtrails.ie?